Tonight id the eve of a fairly big day form me. I’ll be doing a photo shoot for charity in the morning. I’ve done this once before, and things turned out well then. But this time I am hoping to improve from what I did back then, so I spent the day preparing. I started off with making another backdrop. The blue marbled muslin backdrop I used years ago is still in good shape, but I just didn’t want to use it for this shoot. I made that backdrop myself, by bundling up a 9′ x 9′ sheet of muslin, and dunking it in a bucket of blue Rit dye for about 30 minutes. That backdrop turned out pretty good, but this time I used a different method. First I sprayed the muslin down with a hose to get it wet. Then I crumpled it up in a fairly loose heap on the ground in the back yard. In three gallon containers I mixed three batches of Rit dye. Dark Brown, Coca, and Grey. Starting with the grey, I splashed the dye over the bundle of muslin, turning it occasionally to get the color all over. I repeated this with the Coca and Dark Brown. I was pretty pleased with the results.
Here it is drying on the fence in our back yard. While it was still wet, I did a few test shots, to see how it looked.
Still some grass and dirt from doing this on the ground, but as the muslin dried, it all fell off.
She always seems to be around when I’ve got my camera.
Next I brought my equipment down to the church where the photo shoot will be to set everything up. I don’t have a ton of equipment, but it took me forever to get those few little lights setup. Here were some of the final test shots.
Something I lacked before was decent backdrop lighting. This time I’m trying to light the subject and the backdrop. Getting this set up took soooo long. I think I’m pushing my strobes to the limit, but I think I have something I can work with until I can do better.
Here’s my Super Model. She seems like a natural. Something I noticed about my lighting. There’s nothing stopping the light from going straight through my backdrop. Nothing the reflect the light back. I think that’s making the backdrop look washed out. I”ll need to find something big and white to put behind it to help reflect the light back (I think anyway). I think the lighting for the most part is fairly good, except for the lower half being a bit under exposed. I think I can do something about that. I had one other strobe, that I might be able to use to hep out a bit.
You can see my feeble attempt to get some illumination near the bottom. This first attempt was not too good. The next was a bit better.
I think this is better. Tomorrows the big day. Hoping everything goes well.